Sunday, November 12, 2006

Those Were The Days? Well.....

I feel the need to post something a bit mindless today, so here's a meme I lifted from Janet a while back. Yes, a meme. YES, another one. It's Sunday and it's been a rough week. Cut me some slack, 'k? Thanks! What was your first childhood pet? A gerbil named Gerry. What was your favorite comic? Assuming this means comic books (as opposed to newspaper comic strips), I liked the Archie ones a lot. I used to really like those lurid horror comics too (which I find a bit mind-blowing in retrospect, since I detest horror movies) What was your favorite childhood book? I loved the traditional fairy tales (like the Grimm bros. stories), and the Trixie Belden books, and "A Wrinkle in Time. " Going farther back, I liked Dr. Seuss an awful lot too. Did you ever have an imaginary friend as a child? No Did you play an instrument as a child? I played the piano. Badly. What was the first hit single record you bought? I have absolutely no idea, but it was probably something really lame. I got my first record player (yes...Record player) when I was about 11 years old and at that age I had a huge crush on (omigawd, I can't believe I'm about to reveal this...gulp) Donny Osmond. Yes. I know. What tune sums up teenage summers? "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" What was first pop concert you went to? I hardly went to any. I've never been into concerts - still am not into it. Don't like the noise or the crowds. That said, I think the first one of the few I went to was for the band Journey. Fave teenage TV program? All My Children. No, I don't still watch and haven't for years and years, but I was totally hooked on that soap during high school and college. Were you a naughty or a good girl at school? Both. Really! I was a straight-A student, ended up as valedictorian the year I graduated. I was a cheerleader 3 years and played volleyball (badly) and basketball (badly) one year each, and was in the choir. However I also broke a lot of rules, spent more time than I ever wanted to with the principal and in detention, and I was at one point suspended and threatened with expulsion. So. Both! Miss Popularity, Artsy Pants, weirdo or geek, which of these groups classify you at secondary[high] school? In high school I'd have to go with Miss Popularity with a whopping side of geek. In college I was more an Artsy Pants-weirdo combo. Girl most likely to [as in year book]? I don't think we did that "most likely to" thing when I was in high school and if we had, I have no idea what they'd have said. See above regarding my somewhat wide range of behavior at that age! :-) What color did you paint your bedroom as a teenager? White. I know, sad isn't it. But I shared with my sister, so we'd have had to agree on a color, and that room had bright red shag carpeting. BRIGHT. Red. So white sort of seemed like a visual relief. Plus we had so much stuff on the walls it hardly showed anyway. Very first paid job ever? Babysitting Have you ever been really drunk? Yes. Bleah. Did you smoke dope? and if so did you do a Bill Clinton [ smoking but not inhaling]? No. I know that's unusual for someone in my generation, but it's true - I never tried any illegal drugs at all. Even as a teenager I knew enough about my tendencies (toward escapism and OCD-ish behavior) to think that if I ever tried drugs I might like them altogether too much and might not be able to quit. So I just never started. A stupid thing you did? Just one? Heh. Ok, how about the time my friend Pam and I were walking through the woods and came upon a ravine. We noticed some wild grapevines in the trees along one bank and decided to do a Tarzan move and swing across the ravine on a grapevine. Pam went first and made it fine. I went second and the one I was swinging on broke when I was over the ravine. Luckily I only got the wind knocked out of me and got some bruises, but I came about three inches away from impaling myself on a broken sapling stub that was sticking out of the ground like a stake. Pretty stupid. Left handed or right handed? Right Should you play a board game with me? I have no idea what that question means. Is it asking if I like playing board games? Then yes, some of them, but not all. I love Scrabble. I like Apples to Apples, Taboo, Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit, stuff like that. I also love to play cards. But I detest Monopoly and I've never been into checkers or chess. Is it asking if I'm good at board games?? Some yes, some no! If you came to visit me what would we do? Here again, I find this confusing. I suppose it's asking if YOU, the person reading this, came to visit me, what would we do? Well, it depends a great deal on who is reading this! I will say though that I'm not kidding when I talk about living in the middle of nowhere. If you come to visit, you'd better want to see me, not a lot of touristy stuff. That said though, there are places we could go antiquing and some pretty scenery (photo ops!) quite close by. There are towns and cities within decent day-trip distance where there are museums, theaters, shops, etc. We could climb the Purple People Bridge. (I still need to do that!) But mostly I hope we'd hang out and talk and laugh. RSR regulars know the drill - all tagging is self-serve, so if you want to play, tell me so in comments and consider yourself tagged. Today's DAT: "Glowing Heart" (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)