Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Self-Portrait Tuesday: Personal History, Week 1

The Self-Portrait Tuesday theme for January is Personal History. Here's how Kath explains it:
"Explore the cross over between self portraiture and family photography. This challenge can be as simple as revisiting old family snap shots - to tell a story."
I didn't immediately have as many ideas for this one as I did last month, so I'm not sure where I'll go with it as the month progresses, but I did immediately have one idea so I did that one first. Self-Portrait Collage: Continuity I've noticed at various times in my life that I'll see a new photo of myself and think "that looks familiar" and will realize at some point that my facial expression, body language, or both, is like a replay of a photo from my childhood. So this collage is made up of photos of me from the past 40 years or so. They range from family snapshots from when I was as young as 2 years old to a couple of actual self-portraits on the bottom row (one an "arm stretched out" photo and one using the self-timer), both taken in the past 3 months. The photo is clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window. The large version is around 125 kb. I don't know whether I find this collection eerie, comforting, funny, or a little of all three! Others who make guest-appearances in the above collage include my brother, cousin, great-aunt, nephew, husband, and a horse named Yuma.