Sunday, December 11, 2005

December Bliss List

Inspired by Michelle, who was inspired by Oprah, I'd like to share with you a small Bliss List. From Merriam-Webster: Main Entry: bliss Pronunciation: 'blis Function: noun Etymology: Middle English blisse, from Old English bliss; akin to Old English blIthe blithe 1 : complete happiness The idea isn't to come up with some grand list of things that would make you live "happily ever after" - especially since I don't believe in "HEA" outside of movies and books. Does that surprise some of you who know what a relentless optimist I am? But even so, there it is. What I believe in is more like "making the best you can of each day, and hoping for contentedness most of the time, while knowing that contentedness will be interspersed with times of extreme joy and sorrow". But that isn't nearly as catchy as "happily ever after" so I'm not surprised it hasn't caught on. [grin] Anyway, the idea of the Bliss List is to come up with a list of things that give you moments of bliss - little pockets of complete happiness - and to look at that list and remember those things when you're feeling down. I thought this might be a cool thing to do once a month or so. If I can remember. Heh. So here is a list of some of the little things that are making me feel Blissful in December:
  • A crackling fire on a cold day
  • Curling up in my favorite corner of the couch and reading a good book
  • That last one can be even more blissful if J is stretched out on the couch with his head on my lap
  • And while we're at it, let's add something hot to drink in my favorite blue pottery mug
  • Good chocolate melting on my tongue
  • A glorious winter sunset
  • Peppermint ice cream
  • A soft, warm, fuzzy sweater against my skin
  • Surprises (both given and received) wrapped in bright shiny paper or ribbons
  • Eggnog
  • Watching "White Christmas" for the gazillionth time and singing along
  • Listening to Emmylou Harris sing her a cappella version of "The First Noel"
So what's giving you Moments of Bliss this month?