Wednesday, May 10, 2006

H is for...

Time for another WordPlay Personal Dictionary Entry! If you want to know more about how and why I started doing this series of posts, read my "A is for..." entry. If you want to see a list of more people doing the same thing, check out Laume's WordPlay site. Now here we go... H is for... Hugs - I'm very "huggy" with people I know well and care about, but not so crazy about hugging - or being hugged by - people I'm not so close to. Home - I love mine. Not just the House, although I designed the one we live in now, so I do like it a lot. But what I love is the whole nesting thing, of having created a space that's uniquely about my Husband and me and is not exactly like anyplace else on earth. Hyacinths, Hosta, Hydrangea, Honeysuckle - some of my favorite H-plants. I love the scent of hyacinths and honeysuckle, although I know some people find them both overwhelming. And one of my favorite varieties of hosta (called the August Lily Hosta) has white blooms with a fragrance that reminds me very much of the scent of honeysuckle. And the hydrangeas are just pretty! (I won a big garden club prize with a hydrangea branch years ago!) Hats - I love hats. I rarely wear them, other than knit ones in the winter to keep my ears warm, but I love the glamor of them and think it's kind of a shame that it isn't still routinely "done" to wear hats every time we dress up and go out. Hawaii - One of my favorite spots I've visited. The one time I've been (so far!) I island-hopped, which was fascinating, but exhausting. If - no, make that when - I go back someday, I'd like to pick a single island and stay a few days. Haiku - Fun to write! I like the challenge of writing poems that require me to say something within a particular framework of lines or syllables - like haiku, limericks, sonnets. It's like both creating and solving a puzzle! Ham, Honey - H-foods I like. Hummingbirds - They can be a little freaky when they get aggressive, but they're still a lot of fun to watch. They're like the Top Gun squad of the bird kingdom! Horoscope - Sometimes I nod and say "yep", sometimes I roll my eyes and say "please", but either way they're fun to read. HA!, Heh, Hel-lo!, Hhhmmm, Hey! - H-words (or sounds) I say a lot and/or write a lot. Holiday - Most Americans use the word "vacation" for time off work and especially time spent traveling to someplace fun. Usually I do too, but I really prefer the word "holiday". It sounds so much more Happy and festive! Hearts - The card game, that is. I like to play. "Heckler" - A family nickname for me, based on my propensity for snarky commentary, especially about TV ads. Hair - I've had a love/hate/rejoice/despair sort of relationship with mine my whole life. At the moment I rather like my hair, although the superstitious part of me figures that by typing that I probably just jinxed myself to seven years of Bad Hair Luck. Also I've been feeling a little bored by the style lately and wondering if I want layers again. Hhhmmm... "His Girl Friday" - Great classic Cary Grant movie! And check out the Hat Rosalind Russell is wearing in the pic. Love it! Hope, Harmony, Happiness, Humor - H-words I like. "H is for..." (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)