Thursday, November 09, 2006

Poetry Thursday - Just one that spoke to me on a late Autumn day

I've decided not to follow any of the quite wonderful prompts today for Poetry Thursday, but instead just, well, what I said in the post subject line - to share a poem that spoke to me today. I hope it speaks to some of you too. Three Times My Life Has Opened Three times my life has opened. Once, into darkness and rain. Once, into what the body carries at all times within it and starts to remember each time it enters the act of love. Once, to the fire that holds all. These three were not different. You will recognize what I am saying or you will not. But outside my window all day a maple has stepped from her leaves like a woman in love with winter, dropping the colored silks. Neither are we different in what we know. There is a door. It opens. Then it is closed. But a slip of light stays, like a scrap of unreadable paper left on the floor, or the one red leaf the snow releases in March. ~~~Jane Hirshfield "...dropping the colored silks" (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window) If you want to read more poetry, just follow the links you'll find at Poetry Thursday and find some magic! PS - I owe some replies and some blog visits, but I've hardly been home at all the past couple of days and it's not looking like today will be any different. Just want to say I appreciate everyone who has stopped by and I'll get to some replies and visits SOON - no later than the weekend. Hugs and smoochies! :-)