Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Fabulously Glamourous? We'll see

When I posted my final Self-Portrait Challenge entry for October yesterday, I didn't yet know what the theme was going to be for November. But now it's been announced - GLAM! Kath says "I suggest some gorgeous shots - really over do it on the posing and makeup and dressups and show us the extrovert you." She goes on to suggest taking inspiration from sources like The Rocky Horror Picture Show or Glam Rockers like David Bowie, and while I think those ideas sound fun I have to say I'm more inspired by the thought of a slightly more classic glamour - an old-fashioned Hollywood style perhaps. Either way, I'm excited at the idea of tackling this theme, but not because I think it will be easy. I don't. I think it will be as difficult in its own way as the Imperfection theme was. It can be hard sometimes to find beauty in ourselves and to truly SEE it and own it without feeling like we're bragging or being conceited. But beyond that, I find it intriguing that we're not even being asked to look for beauty exactly, but to create glamour. There is a difference. Here's how Mr. Merriam and Mr. Webster define "glamour:" 1 : a magic spell 2 : an exciting and often illusory and romantic attractiveness Those definitions make me think of the brief Dove video that's been making the rounds of the 'net, where real beauty might be defined as the model's lovely eyes or the dramatic arch of her brows, the shape of her cheekbones or her pretty smile; while glamour would be the illusory attractiveness of her appearance after professional make-up, hairstyling, flattering lighting, and creative post-photo editing have worked their magic spell. I don't know if Kath meant us to get all philosophical about it or not, but that's where my thoughts are taking me. I haven't decided exactly what I'll do for this challenge yet, but I have some ideas and I figure I'll play around a bit with those ideas later this week. Who knows what I'll come up with. Whether I succeed in finding the proper spell to make myself glamourous or not, it should be fun to try. I always did like playing dress-up! For today's Daily Art Thang I'm sharing a photo of a neighbor's barn. It's one I see every day from the curve of my driveway and I've always thought it was a lovely view in a very Kentucky-ish sort of way. I've taken oodles of photos of it over the years, trying to capture the view the way my eyes see it and I don't feel I've ever truly succeeded in doing that, but the photo below comes closer than many of my efforts. "Autumn Barn" (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)