Thursday, October 26, 2006

Poetry Thursday: a Poem for an October Night

Rather than following the prompt for Poetry Thursday, I decided to post a poem that I ran across a few months ago and liked. I remember thinking at the time that it didn't feel right to post it then. It felt like an autumn sort of poem. So I'm going to share a portion of it now. It's called "Witch" and is written by Jean Tepperman. It's a long one and I'm only going to share the last third or so of it here, but if you want to read the poem in it's entirety you can find it on this website or in the book "Ain't I a Woman!" a selection from: Witch ...They built screens and room dividers to hide unsightly desire sixteen years old raw and hopeless they buttoned me into dresses covered with pink flowers. They waited for me to finish then continued the conversation. I have been invisible, weird and supernatural. I want my black dress. I want my hair curling wild around me. I want my broomstick from the closet where I hid it. Tonight I meet my sisters in the graveyard. Around midnight if you stop at a red light in the wet city traffic, watch for us against the moon. We are screaming, we are flying, laughing, and won't stop. ~~~Jean Tepperman Here's another shadow portrait for today's Daily Art Thang: "Autumn Shadow 2" (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)