Sunday, October 22, 2006

Random Items from the Junk Drawer of my Mind #30

1. I heard about this website from Corky: Bizarre American Holidays. I hate the site design (it was evidently designed by someone who does NOT have middle-aged eyes that appreciate some contrast between text and background!), but it's a fun place to poke around. I discovered that J shares his birthday with Virus Appreciation Day and I share my birthday with Buzzard's Day AND Everything You Think Is Wrong Day. Who knew?? Not me, obviously, because everything I think is wrong. What amazingly bizarre holiday shares your special day? 2. I got a pair of these pens in the mail the other day after hearing about them from the fabulous Mir on Want Not and I like them! They feel nice in my hand and they write smoothly. But of course the thing I like very best about them is that I get to walk around the Bible belt using this pen in the post office, bank, grocery store, etc. and watching people do a double take if they notice that the pen says www.penisland.net on the side. I've always known I have a very active Inner Child, but it's only in recent years that I've come to realize that perhaps my Inner Child is a nine-year-old boy who appreciates fart jokes. 3. I took the quiz below because Chief Biscuit dared me to. I have to say, while I think the "score" is pretty accurate, I think the write-up about it is silly. Who says we're supposed to completely change our lives every ten years? I'm thinking the goal is to change what needs changing and keep the good parts, yes? Ah well...silly quiz writer!
You've Changed 40% in 10 Years
Ah, the past! You may not remember it well - because you're still living in it. While you've changed some, you may want to update your wardrobe, music collection and circle of friends.
4. Here's today's Daily Art Thang - a photograph I took a few weeks ago in a nearby small town. I love the whimsy of the tinsel star on top of this tower, presumably put up for Christmas some year or other and just never taken down. Here's both the straightforward version of the photo and one I messed with. "Star Tower" "Neon Star Tower" (both are clickable if you want to see them larger in a new window)