Saturday, October 28, 2006

A List of Firsts

If it's Saturday, it must be MemeDay. I got this one from Bee. 1. Who was your first love? His name was Jimmy and we were both 5 years old. We would say "I love you" to each other and steal kisses on the merry-go-round at kindergarten recess. He told me we were going to get married when we grew up. Liar! :-D 2. Who was your first kiss and when? Not counting Jimmy and the merry-go-round? His name was Danny and I was, hhhmmm...14 I think. (Weird bit of trivia - almost every boyfriend I ever had, up to and including my husband, had a name that started with either a J or a D. Very strange!) 3. Who was your first prom date? I never went to a prom. I went to a school where it was against the rules to dance. Yep, just like this movie! (I LOVED that movie. I still kind of do.) 4. Who was your first room mate? Her name was Carol. We only roomed together one semester, my first year of college. She was nice, but we had very different personalities and ended up hanging with totally different crowds and both moved on to other roomies pretty quickly. 5. What was your first job? Very first - babysitting. Then in college I worked for the admissions office during the school year (first two years, then for the college art gallery the second two years) and flipped burgers during the summer. (Bleah. I remember always smelling like grease and onions, no matter how much I showered!) 6. What was your first car? An AMC Concord. Real glam, yes? Ha! I loved that car, though. It was the first big purchase I ever made by myself. (My dad was with me and gave me advice, but I chose it and worked out the deal.) 7.When did you go to your first funeral? The first one I remember going to was for my uncle (Mom's older brother) who died quite young. He was only...hhmm...37 or 38 I think, and died of complications from heart surgery to correct a congenital defect. I must've been around 13 or so. (If I went to any before that, I don't remember them.) 8. How old were you when you first moved away from your hometown? That would be when I went away to college. I was 17. 9. Who was your first grade teacher? Mrs. Hammons. I detested her and the feeling was mutual. 10. Where did you go on your first ride on an airplane? Washington DC. I was 11 years old. I LOVED it!!! 11. Where did you go for your first date and who was it with? I was 13, my date's name was Doug. Neither of us was old enough to drive, but we went on a double date with our friends Pam and Mike - he was 16. We went out to dinner - very tame. 12. When you snuck out of your house for the first time, who was it with? I'm not sure I ever DID sneak out of my house. I stayed out so late that I had to sneak back into my dorm after hours in college a few times. (I went to a private school and there was a curfew.) Unless you're my dad reading this and then - Hahahaaa, Dad, just kidding! I studied hard every night and then went to sleep by 11:00 PM. REALLY! Ahem. 13.Who was your first best friend and are you still friends with them? Debra H. We're almost exactly the same age and our moms were good friends, so they threw us together from the time we were infants. We were friends pretty much all through elementary school, but no, I wouldn't say we're friends anymore. We never had a falling out, we just gradually grew up and apart into different lives, but we're friendly when we occasionally run into each other. The last time I saw her was 5 years ago, when she and her mom came to my mom's wake. 14. Who was the first person to send you flowers? I've had people send me flowers over the years but I'm not sure who did it first. Probably some boyfriend or other, and his name probably started with a J or a D. Heh. 15. Where did you live the first time you moved out of your parents house? College dorm room. 16. Who is the first person you call when you have a bad day? My husband, unless he's the one causing the bad day. :-) 17. Whose wedding were you in the first time you were a bridesmaid or a groomsmen? If you include flower girl in that, I was a flower girl for my mom's cousin, Charlotte, when I was around 5 years old (give or take a year or so). (Edited to add: Y'know the more I look at that photo, the more I think I must've been more like 7 years old. My brother looks 4-ish in that and I'm three years older. Funny the tricks memory will play on you - I'd have sworn I was 5 when I was in that wedding!) But the first time I was actually a bridesmaid was for a high school friend of mine named Gleah. We were way out of high school by then though. We were both around 24 or 25 at the time she got married. Dig my big, blonde, '80's hair! 18. What is the first thing you do in the morning? Open my eyes and say hello to the husband, dog, or cat who has caused me to leave my blissful slumber. As usual, if you want to steal this meme, just tell me so in comments and you can consider yourself "officially" tagged! Here's today's Daily Art Thang. Don't bother reading anything profound into the title. I'm being quite literal - this is the view of the railroad tracks looking the other way from yesterday's DAT. "Looking the Other Way" (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)