Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Q is for...

Time for another WordPlay Personal Dictionary Entry! If you want to know more about how and why I started doing this series of posts, read my "A is for..." entry. If you want to see a list of more people doing the same thing, check out Laume's WordPlay site. Now here we go... Q is for... Quilts - I make these, although these days I mostly make the kind you hang on walls instead of the kind you put on beds. Now and then the quilts I make end up exhibited in shows or pictured in books, magazines, or calendars. Quilters - As a rule, some good people. Quiet - Something I crave at least a little of every day. I'm not someone who wants constant noise in the background (like music or TV noise) beyond things like nature sounds, and in fact I get very stressed out if I hear man-made background noise non-stop for too many hours at a time. Quesadillas, Quiche - Q-foods I like (especially the quesadillas, with lots of salsa and guacamole - yum!). Quantum Physics - I only understand the tiniest portion of Quantum Physics, but what I understand fascinates me. It's like the area where science and spirituality meet and essentially say the same thing in different languages. I wish I understood more than I do. (I found the quantum physics poster I used in the Q-collage at this cool site.) Quirkiness - A Quality I often admire. Qat - A lifesaver word in Scrabble and certain other word games, as it allows you to play the Q tile without a U to accompany it. (It's a type of shrub, in case the definition matters to anyone.) Queen City - A nickname for Cincinnati, Ohio, where I was born. Quiz - I'm pretty hooked on taking quizzes. Quarter-inch seam - Something important to traditional quiltmaking. I don't do as much of that as I used to, but I still have a pretty good eye for a quarter-inch seam. Quartz - Pretty! I like the clear kind, and I also love amethyst and citrine, which are both types of quartz. Question - Why did I include this? Does anyone know? Hello? Anyone there?? Quixotic, Quest, Quip, Quick, Quiver, Quiescent, Quench, Quell - Q-words I like. "Q is for..." (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)