Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Self-Portrait Challenge: Self-Portrait as Glinda the Good AND Elphaba the Wicked

For July, the Self-Portrait Challenge is to create a weekly "Self-Portrait as ______." The idea, of course, is to fill in the blank with any fun, serious, wild, imaginative, wacky, thoughtful, silly, fantastic thing you want. I love this theme! I love this one as much as I loved the last one. That's pretty scary because odds are next month will be something that will make me cringe. But I'll burn that bridge when I get there. Meanwhile, back to the July fun! Last week I asked RSR readers to throw out helpful suggestions for self-portrait ideas, promising that if I used any ideas suggested that the lucky reader would win a fabulous case of Turtle Wax and some Rice-a-roni, the San Francisco Treat! Wait...no, that's The Price is Right or something. No, I said I'd give away fabric postcards or something similar if someone suggested an idea I used. Y'all really came through for me and suggested so many fabulous things that I'm having trouble deciding which ones to try! But for this first week, one really jumped out at me that I just had to do, even though it's mostly Photoshop smoke and mirrors instead of photography skill. Andy A. (who happens to be my brother-in-law, so admittedly he might have a bit of an advantage in knowing what would make me laugh) suggested a self-portrait as Elphaba, from the Broadway show "Wicked" based on the book of the same name. He also suggested a self-portrait as Glinda from the same show. I loved both ideas, but how to decide? Who would I rather be, given the chance? Elphaba is undoubtedly the star of the show and gets the most dramatic bits (and the guy!), but Glinda is the comic relief and that's always fun, plus she gets to sing "Popular", one of my favorite songs in the show. Well hey, I thought, why not both! So that's what I did: "Self-Portrait as Glinda the Good and as Elphaba the Wicked Witch of the West" (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window) Thanks for the idea, Andy! And for a prize you have a choice - I can either make a 4" x 6" fabric postcard to send to you or you can look around the archives and choose your favorite Daily Art Thang photo and I'll have an 8" x 10" print made up for you. Lemme know! And to everyone else who suggested ideas, stay tuned. There's still 3 more Tuesdays in July! Hope everyone is having a Wickedly Good day.