Friday, March 25, 2005

The Interview Game

Here's a fun thing that is currently making the blogging rounds. I heard about it from Dara, who got it from Suzanne. I'll tell you the rules at the end, in case you want to play. Here are the Interview Questions Dara asked me. I think she came up with some hard ones! 1. What is your earliest memory? Oh geeze....uh....I'm not sure I can pinpoint my very earliest memory. But one memory that would be among the earliest is the memory of a neighbor's back yard. The neighbor was Helen VanDel and I called her Aunt Helen. She was a teacher and an avid gardener, and she used to babysit me sometimes. Her back yard was surrounded by cottage-garden-style borders, filled with colorful, fragrant flowers and shrubs. And there was a hill in the back my dad would sled down in the winter, holding me in his lap. Aunt Helen's yard seemed huge and magical to me at the time. Stepping out her back door felt to me like Dorothy stepping out of the black'n'white world of Kansas and into the vibrant colors of Oz. We moved from that neighborhood when I was 3 or 4 years old. When I saw her yard years later, I was shocked at how small it really was. She actually had a tiny in-town lot. But when I was a little girl, I just knew that place was enchanted. 2. Two roads diverge into a wood. You take the one less traveled. Where does it lead you? Santa Fe (c'mon...you didn't think I could give serious answers to EVERY question, now did ya??) 3. How many quilts have you made? I don't really know! But I did a quick look through some photo albums and my website and tried to count, JUST FOR YOU, Dara! :-) I think, if you count everything from mini-quilts to huge bed-sized ones, I've made somewhere between 90 and 100 quilts since 1989. 4. What are the northernmost and westernmost states you've traveled to? Northernmost is Maine. Westernmost is Hawaii. (California, if you only count the mainland.) Interestingly enough (or at least I think it's interesting!) the easternmost state I've been to is Maine. The southernmost is Hawaii! (Florida, if you only count the mainland.) Kinda weird, eh? 5. What's your favorite adage? "You have only failed when you fail to try." Whew! That took a lot of thought for a Friday afternoon. ;-) Ok, here are the Official Rules of The Interview Game if you want to play. 1. If you want to participate, leave a comment below saying "interview me." 2. I will respond by asking you five questions - each person's will be different. 3. You will update your journal/blog with the answers to the questions. 4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post. 5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.