Friday, September 08, 2006

Random Items from the Junk Drawer of my Mind #26

1. For all of you who love to read as much as I do, I highly recommend this book: "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen I started reading it Wednesday morning and thought hhmmm, this seems like it could be interesting. I read a little more and thought wow, this IS interesting. I read a little more and got so caught up in the story I forgot to think about how interested I was. I read every spare minute that day and then sat up an hour past when I meant to go to bed Wednesday night because I couldn't stand to wait until the next day to see how it ended. And when I read the last line of the last page I had a smile on my lips and tears in my eyes. I see it's gotten mostly positive reviews on Amazon but a few not-so-good, so I can't promise you'll all like it, but I loved it. I really did. When I read the negative reviews I was left feeling like they read an entirely different book than I did. This is one I'll be reading again in the future. 2. Happy Birthday, Grandpa Keeton! My only remaining grandparent (Dad's dad) is having his 88th birthday today, which means for the next 6 months he's exactly twice my age. I know he doesn't read RSR, but I'll say it anyway. (The photo is Grandpa holding me when we were both quite a few years younger than we are today.) 3. Today's Daily Art Thang: "Chicory" (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)