Friday, August 11, 2006

U is for...

Time for another WordPlay Personal Dictionary Entry! If you want to know more about how and why I started doing this series of posts, read my "A is for..." entry. If you want to see a list of more people doing the same thing, check out Laume's WordPlay site. Now here we go... U is for... United States - The country where I was born and still live. I've been to about half the states so far and hope to visit all of them eventually. USPS (United States Postal Service) - A bit of a lifeline for me as I live in Middle-of-Nowheresville. I'm a Mail Junkie! UPS (United Parcel Service) - I like them a lot too! Does it mean anything that I never have to live someplace long before the local UPS driver knows my name? (Don't answer that!) Ugly - I like some ugly things, like puppies who are so ugly they're cute, or ugly fabric that is the perfect spark to liven up a quilt once it's cute into little pieces and scattered among the prettier fabric. Pretty is, well...pretty, but think how boring it would be if there was nothing BUT pretty! Ugly adds character. Uggie (or Uggo) - How I sometimes say Ugly, because I have a very active Inner Child. Underwear - I have kind of a thing for pretty bras and underpants. I buy a lot of them. I want the tops and bottoms to match and I never buy white. Umbrella (big, cloth, waterproof) - An accessory I love, since I detest getting wet. Unless I'm naked, then it's ok. So I'm fine with showers, baths, hot tubs, etc. I can even handle getting wet in a swimsuit as long as I can change out of it and dry off pretty quickly after I'm out of the water. But I HATE getting wet in street clothes and I especially hate getting my shoes wet. It makes me grumpy. Bitchy, even. Umbrella (small, paper, colorful) - An accessory I like to see in a drink! If I can't have an umbrella, a colorful plastic sword with fruit or olives or something on it is ok too, but I like the umbrellas best. "Undead and Unwed" - The first in a series of books I like a lot. The main character is Elizabeth I, Queen of the Vampires, aka Betsy, who loves shoes and really doesn't want to be queen of anything, especially a bunch of vampires. She thinks they're icky. All the titles in the series start with "Undead and ..." They're a riot! Uh, Um, UhOh, Unbelievable! - U-words I say a lot. Understanding, Unique, Ubiquitous, Upbeat, Ululate - U-words I like. "U is for..." (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)