Thursday, August 03, 2006

Poetry Thursday: Inspired by Song

The (CATO) prompt at Poetry Thursday this week is to write a poem that incorporates a song. Now I bet you're waiting for me to tell you I'm not doing it, right? Wrong! For once I'm actually following the prompt in the week in which it's posted. Yeah, baby! The song I have in mind is one of my favorites. It's called "Born to Fly" by Sara Evans. If you want to read all the lyrics you can see them here. But my favorite part is the chorus: "But how do you wait for heaven? And who has that much time? And how do you keep your feet on the ground When you know that you were born, You were born to fly" That song always reminds me of the flying dreams I've had for so many years. Yesterday I wrote a poem inspired by the song and how it makes me feel. I wrote this one quickly (for me!! heh) and didn't fuss over this much, so it may be a bit "first draft-y", but I think the basic structure of it is there, so I'm going to post it anyway. Born to Fly It's a bone-deep feeling, pulling at my heart; a memory under my skin of something I've done before - another time, another life. If I remembered the way - if I believed enough! - I should be able to spread my arms and leave Gravity behind as easily as I kick off my shoes. I'd leap into the air on a likely updraft, soaring, rising weightless, riding the current with graceful spins and arabesques while the wind combs sunlight through my hair. I'd play hide 'n' seek with the birds, swooping down, butterfly-bright, to skim the treetops before flinging myself up again to hide in a cloud. Sometimes in my dreams I do it all - the rolls, the twirls, the lightning turns. But then I open my eyes and Gravity wraps me in greedy arms. I'm heavy again, left with only a feeling, a pull, a memory; a certainty that I was born to fly. I just don't remember how. Not yet. "Born to Fly" You can find links to more poetry to make your heart sing here.