Wednesday, July 26, 2006

S is for...

Time for another WordPlay Personal Dictionary Entry! If you want to know more about how and why I started doing this series of posts, read my "A is for..." entry. If you want to see a list of more people doing the same thing, check out Laume's WordPlay site. Now here we go... S is for... Sandy - My smart, talented, fun, beautiful Sister. Sunflowers, Sage - S-plants I like. Strawberries, Salad, Shrimp, Scallops, (Seafood in general!) - S-foods I like. If I was forced to have a really limited diet, but got to choose what it was limited to, I could pretty much live on seafood and fruit. Salsa - I'm so hooked on this S-food that it deserves it's very own entry, but I can no longer buy the one I used to like best and am now on a Holy Grail-like quest for The Perfect Salsa. I tried some locally-made stuff last week, but it said it was Hot and it SO was not. I had to add oodles of Franks RedHot Sauce to it to make it have any kick at all and if that isn't bad enough, it had sugar in it! Sugar, y'all! That's just wrong. Wrong and sick. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Bible lists earthquakes, fire raining from the sky, and sugar in salsa as signs of an impending apocolypse. Anyone want to recommend a superfantastic brand of salsa or email me a recipe for a great (but easy-to-make) homemade version? Sugar - Something I'm WAY too hooked on (despite not wanting it in my salsa!) and Seriously need to wean myself from. Sigh. Schnapps - S-drink I like, especially Cinnamon, Peppermint, or Butterscotch Schnapps. Swizzle - A drink my mom used to make every summer and I make now and then when I think of it. It's basically an iced mixture of tea, fruit juices, and lemon-lime soda. It's Yum! Shoes! - Of course I had to mention shoes. You've seen the name of my blog. Shop - I don't like just any old kind of shopping, but if you lead me to a shoe store, a book store, or anyplace that sells quirky stuff (like antique shops, flea markets, off-beat artsy gift shops), I can get lost for hours. Socks - I don't like socks nearly as much as I like shoes, but if I'm going to wear them, I like it to be something bright and fun. I have some very strange socks in my sock drawer. Stephanie (Plum) - A fictional character I really like. Spike (aka: William the Bloody) - One of my all-time-favorite TV characters, played by the extremely talented James Marsters. Spike was a vampire on the series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", but that isn't why one of his names was William the Bloody. He earned that nickname as a mortal because he wrote "bloody awful poetry." Steven (Gould) - A writer I really like, especially his book "Jumper." Sunshine, Sleep - Things I crave. I get very depressed and/or grumpy if I don't get enough of them. Sex - Fun! And hhhmm....now that I think of it, I probably could've included this in the above entry. Ahem. Scrabble, Spades - A couple of games I love to play. "Sliding Doors" - A quirky movie I really like. Although it doesn't talk about quantum physics (one of the things on my Q-list!), it definitely relates to it. "Star Trek" (any of them!) - I'm not a Trekker to the point of dressing up and going to Cons or anything, but I really love all the various Star Trek series. (At least all the ones I've seen. We don't get the channel where they show the newest one.) Somerset (Kentucky) - Where J was born and where he and I lived for a few years before we moved here. When I was a little girl, we drove through Somerset several times a year on the way to or from my paternal grandparents house - they lived one town over from Somerset. I'd never have guessed as we drove around the town square that my future husband was growing up on a farm a few miles away. Smoky Mountains (Tennessee and North Carolina) - One of our most frequent holiday destinations. Ship, Cruise - One of my favorite ways to get away from it all. Sandcastles - I like to build them, although I'm not particularly good at it, and I love to see the ones built by people who are particularly good at it! Spring, Summer - Seasons I really like because of the abundance of Sunshine. Sunscreen - I would be in trouble without it, since I crave the light but am severely melanin-challenged. (Or in other words ghostly pale!) Spirals, Stars, Suns, Squiggly Lines - Shapes I like a lot and that appear as frequent motifs in my quilts and collages. Sewing Machine - I wouldn't make quilts without it! Notice I didn't say "couldn't." I could make quilts without it. But I wouldn't. I don't like to hand sew, so my sewing machine is my friend. Scrhodinger's Cat - is dead. Or alive. (If you get that reference without the help of Google and know why I think it's cool, we need to hang out together.) Sarcastic - I took a quiz last week that said I was totally sarcastic. Yeah, right. Like THAT could ever be true. Swear - Something I probably do a helluva lot more often than I should, dammit. Snarky, Shit, Shiny!, Squick, Smartass, Superfantastic, Scrumtrulescent - S-words I say a lot. (Bonus points if you know where the word "scrumtrulescent" comes from!) Supercalafragalisticexpialadocious - (Let's see what Spell Check thinks of THAT! Hmph!) I used to love to say that word when I was little. I still kind of do. Sliver, Shiver, Sinuous, Sensual, Serendipity, Slinky, Sizzle, Swanky, Spectacular - S-words I like. "S is for..." (clickable if you want to see it larger in a new window)