Monday, May 01, 2006

Random Items from the Junk Drawer of my Mind #15

Including updates on my April Simple Still Life! Yeah, baby! 1. The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative auction to raise money for Alzheimer's research has officially begun and will run through noon EST on May 10th. It's a silent auction with low starting bids and Ami explains how it all works on her site, so if you think you might want to buy a small bit of fiber art for a good cause, click on the link above and check it out. Bid early and bid often! 2. I keep seeing a commercial where some guy is invited to spin the Wheel! Of! ADJECTIVES! I think it's an ad for cell phones or something, but I'm not sure because I kind of tune that part out. And that's not really my point anyway. My point is that I think the concept is genius. I WANT a Wheel! Of! ADJECTIVES! for my very own! Preferably one that's small and portable so I can not only have it handy here by the 'puter when I need just the right descriptive word for a rant or haiku or blog comment, but I could also put it in my purse and take it with me to use pretty much anywhere. Someone out there invent one, 'k? Thanks! 3. If you have a fast connection and want a laugh, check out "Candyman", a short film starring (dadadaDaaaaah!) my brother-in-law Andy! His friend John made it and uploaded it to the Google video thingy. Even with a fast connection I would suggest clicking on it and then wandering off and doing something else for a few minutes. It's a largish file. 4. A few days ago, the lovely Gabrielle posed by one of my quilts at the AQS show in Paducah because I'd asked her to be my Quilt Stunt Double. She posted the photo on her blog if you want to check it out! Thank you Gabrielle! You look gaaaahgeous! Then today Leslie and Caty - a pair of fun sisters with pretty hair! - got back from Paducah too. Caty and Leslie are on a quilt email list with me and on that list we have a long-standing tradition of acting as each other's Photo Stand-ins at quilt show. (Not just the three of us, I mean anyone on that list - if someone on the list has a quilt in a show that allows photos and you go to the show, you are expected to pretend to be the quilter and have your photo taken with the quilt. It's just Something We Do!) They said I could show their pics on RSR, so here are they are: "LeslieDebR with 'Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese'" and: "CatyDebR with 'Eyes of the Sun'" Thanks you two! You both look maaahhhhvelous!! (I came up with "gaaaahgeous" and "maaahhhhvelous" without a Wheel! Of! ADJECTIVES! since no one has made one for me yet. Whew! I really need one of those things!!) 5. I still haven't figured out what the heck I'm doing for my May Simple Still Life or for the first week of May's Self-Portrait Tuesday, but I DID get my April SSL thingy done. The theme for April was "flowers" and to remind you, here is the photo I started with: "3 Grape Hyacinths" From there I tried something new-to-me. I used Photoshop Elements to "cut out" shapes from photos of three of my finished quilts and then arranged them into a virtual quilt based on the photo above. Here it is: "3 Grape Hyacinths - Sort Of" That was really kind of fun to do! It's also, for better or worse, today's Daily Art Thang. 6. Off to obsess about self-portraits now. Later y'all!