Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Self-Portrait Tuesday: April Fool, Week 4

It's the final week of the April SPT theme to act silly and foolish in front of the camera. Starting in May, Self-Portrait Tuesday is getting renamed Self-Portrait Challenge (although I might stick with Tuesday, just because I'm like that!) and is moving to a new cyberhome. If you want to know more, look for the big mostly-red button in my sidebar. Meanwhile though, for this final week of the April Fool theme, I thought I'd share with you... The Ghosts of Foolishness Past Yep, this week I dug through some old photo albums to look for examples of past foolishness caught on film. Take a look at a page from my album. What do you see? 1. You see me as an adolescent in my uniform for a baton corps I belonged to. We were called The Golden Lassies. Yes, we really were. One hardly knows where to start with the jokes, does one! Here you see me in all my squinty-eyed, pigeon-toed, limp-wristed glory wearing the gold-sequin bathing suit and shiny white knee boots I wore to march and twirl in who-knows-how-many summer parades. How much do you love the granny glasses and schoolmarm bun with that get-up? And this isn't even the FULL glory outfit. After this photo was taken, someone decided we weren't quite dazzling enough and we added knuckle-to-elbow sequin-covered armbands and rhinestone tiaras to the ensemble. I rather regret the loss of the tiara. I still have my baton. 2. Check out the hair in that next photo! That was taken between curling and combing on the night of my high school graduation. Hot! 3. Then in college I agreed to play Alice in Wonderland on a Homecoming float. If you wonder why I look all stiff in that photo it was because it was a freezing cold winter day and I was standing there in a thin, short-sleeved cotton dress clutching a papier mache flamingo. I have to say though, other than the pebbled blue skin and chattering teeth, it was a fun day. We recreated the Mad Hatter's tea party on the back of the float and threw candy from giant papier mache teacups to kids along the parade route. 4. I'd happily do the Alice gig again before I let another friend wrangle me into mauve satin and Big Hair for a wedding. (Hey, it was the '80's!) It's unfortunate that the bouquet is obscuring the Madonna-esque mauve lace gloves I wore that day. 5. And that last one? Um...yeah, I wonder about that one too. I was in my 20's and working as a display designer for a department store. But why exactly I climbed on the display and made a BratFace and let someone take my photo? Well, your guess is as good as mine. Check out the tapered pants with hot pink socks peeking through and the FeMullet! Aaahh...good times! Can't wait to see what Foolishness Ghosts I'll accumulate in the future. "Ghosts of Foolishness Past" (clickable if you're foolish enough to want to see it larger in a new window) And even though I should probably post this separately, I'm feeling lazy and Blogger is acting balky, so I'm just going to tack this onto the end - a doodle. "DottaDoodleDo"