Friday, March 11, 2005

Winding Things Up

For those of you who are still with me and not completely and TOTALLY sick of looking at What I Did On My Winter Vacation, here are a few photos that didn't really fit into any other category...mostly pics of some artwork I liked and some miscellaneous people pics. Because there is assigned seating for dinner, you have the same wait staff all week and get to know each other a little bit. The people responsible for our table were super-nice and very professional. Here's a pic (taken the final night...what we called the Last Supper) of Sigit from Indonesia, Jocelyn from the Philippines, and Rosario from India. Our room steward, Carlos from Costa Rica, left this towel elephant on our bed one night. If you look closely in the mirror behind the bed, you can see Johnny and me in formalwear. I have to mention one of those "strange-but-true" things. Before the cruise, Sandy and Andy were trying to guess possible names and countries for our dinner waiter and guess what Sandy said. Go head, guess....I'll wait. Yep...Carlos from Costa Rica. Ok, so he turned out to be the room steward, not the waiter. But c'mon! Still worthy of a few bars of the Twilight Zone theme, if you ask me. This is Johnny, sitting at the pool bar one afternoon and gazing west. I just thought the light made a cool shot. This is a mosaic on the wall by the pool bar. I'm not sure what it's supposed to represent, but I love the colors and shapes. This is a sculpture in the Windjammer Cafe (casual dining just off the pool deck). I LOVE this piece and would love to have a smaller version of it in my garden!! (If anyone has ever seen one of these for sale anywhere, send me the link...seriously!) This is the sculpture that's hanging in the Centrum (ship's lobby), as seen from Deck 7. (Our cabin was on Deck 7, close to the library.) I'd imagine the artist's intent was to show something about the earth and it's place in the universe, but I think it looks like a swirl of mastodon rib bones, with a giant's marble in the center and a giant's strings of beads intertwined around it all. That's not a criticism, BTW. I think mastodon bones and giant's toys are more interesting and original as an art theme than earth's place in the universe. :-) Here's another pic of the same sculpture, from a different angle. It shows more of the Centrum, including a fountain I really liked, which was not, unfortunately, running at the time I took the photo. This is Johnny with John Wayne. No, I'm not going to explain that. Just take a look. You know you want to. This is me with Clint Eastwood. And finally I end with one of my favorite photos from the whole trip: The Pina Colada Gang! (Ok, so J has a Bloody Mary. He always has to be different. He DID marry ME, after all.) Clockwise from the left (not counting the women in the background...I don't know them): Andy, Johnny, Ron, Linda, Sandy. If you look at the table between Linda and Sandy, you'll see a pina colada and a trashy novel. That's me. :-)