Thursday, September 01, 2005

Rock Star Stuff

Usual spoiler warnings apply...you know the drill! It may seem ridiculous to write about Rock Star: INXS with all the horrors going on in the gulf states, but since I've written about it every other week, I'm going to go ahead and post a comment or two. I was disappointed to see Ty go home, but not altogether surprised. I'd been saying for a while now that I didn't think he was a good fit for the band, as much as I love his voice. I hope some record producer out there is paying attention to the show and gives him a chance, though. If he put out a CD, I'd buy it. Ditto for Jordis. I think her days are numbered on the show. And honestly, I'm not sure she much cares. I get the feeling that she's figured out by now that she's not The One and is just taking this ride as far as it'll go in the hope of the right people sitting up and taking notice and saying "hey, maybe this girl could be a star on her own". And I hope they do, because again...I'd buy her CD in a heartbeat. But JD? Man, I am SO over JD. I want him to shut up and go home already. It's been weeks since he gave a performance that wowed me and his personal dramas are just tiresome. And when he was the one and only person to go into the studio completely unprepared? Fuhgeddaboudit. He's dead to me. If INXS chooses him in the end, I will not buy their music. Seriously. I truly think that if all three up for elimination this week had been "first timers" that it would have been JD going home. I think the only thing that tipped the choice over to Ty was the fact of him having been in the bottom three more often. I think any of the other three have a pretty good shot at getting the job. My personal favorite would be Suzie. She's totally won me over in the past few weeks and I'm now a huge Suzie fan. She has good range, near-perfect pitch, a good way with a variety of musical styles, good stage presence. Plus she conducts herself professionally and seems like she'd be fun to be around. Ok, she's kind of prone to crying, but maybe she'll get over that as she gets older. I'd be pretty happy with MiG too. And I actually think he'd be a very good fit for the band in many ways on a personal level, as well as musically. To my ear he doesn't have quite the vocal control Suzie does, but he's certainly very good and very professional. Marty is the wild card for me. I think he's very talented, but musically he doesn't appeal to me as much as the other two. But I'm not the one making the decision (dammit) and the band seems to really like him as long as he's not doing the "angry Marty screaming" thing. So...ya never know. I really hope that the race issue wasn't as big a factor in the voting as Ty seemed to think. I do think that his sound being heavily soul-influenced is part of why he's gone. But I don't think that either the viewers or the band thought his sound was a bad thing...just not necessarily the right thing for INXS. Whatever will I talk about on Thursdays after this show ends??