Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Real Life is Getting On My Nerves

I'm having one of those weeks. You know the ones...where you have a ton of stuff you want to get accomplished and can't quite manage it because the ever-annoying Real Life Details keep getting in the way. Yesterday afternoon I spent a big hunk of time having a talk with my doctor about the whole "high triglycerides even though the rest of my numbers are fine" situation, and then had errands to run, not to mention post-trip laundry, so yesterday just felt like a big fat waste. Today I went to Lexington for my yearly Guinea Pig Day. Because my mom died from ovarian cancer, I'm a participant in a long-term study on the effectiveness of transvaginal ultrasound as an early ovarian cancer detection tool. So once a year I go to Lexington and get my insides prodded for a while, complete with strange-looking grainy black and white photos. (I should ask for a copy of those sometime. I bet they'd be fun to play with in Photoshop.) Then I take myself out for a nice lunch and make a run by the book store and maybe a shoe store. Believe it or not, I did NOT buy either books or shoes today! Lunch was good though. Half a chicken salad sandwich on whole wheat, a cup of tomato soup, and a little penne-tomato-olive-artichoke salad, all with spearmint lemonade. Yum! But again...a whole day gone with no studio time. Tomorrow I have to wrangle 3 large-but-nice dogs and 1 large-and-somewhat-evil cat to the vet for their annual exams and vaccines, and then I need to buy food because J keeps expecting to actually EAT even though I have things I'd rather be doing. Sheesh! All of which means that the small tree quilt I showed in-progress last week is still sitting there on the work table at EXACTLY the same state of done-ness it was before I left for North Carolina. We are not amused. We ARE going to be getting some work done on that sucker this weekend if it kills us. Me. Whatever. I have an ever-increasing list of things I've committed to finish and I don't like that "I'm getting behind" feeling. It must cease. On the exhibit front --- Debra, I had already planned to submit the sun quilt to PIQF if it didn't get in at Houston, so maybe you'll get to see it in person if a) I get my act together and follow through, and b) they decide to show it. I actually have the paperwork and slides on my desk, but was stalling a bit because I think the notifications for the Chandler show are supposed to go out early next week and if my sisters quilt doesn't get in there, I may try it at PIQF too. And Jen, I just downloaded rules and entry forms for Road, so maybe I'll try it there too! If it gets in either or both places, you guys need to have someone take your photo next to the quilt as my Quilt Stunt Double! Gerrie, sorry you can't see the pics on the blog. A friend of mine in Alaska (hi Martha!) often has trouble with my pics not loading on her home 'puter and we've never yet figured out why, so I have no idea what, if anything, to do about it. Hopefully you'll be home soon and can see them then.