Friday, June 03, 2005

Sunny Names

Thanks for the nice comments that have been coming in about the sun quilt, both here and by email. To answer Logan's question about size, it's 54" x 54". That range --- from around 40" to around 60" on a side --- tends to be one of my favorite working sizes. Now, about the name suggestions...I'm really liking some of the things y'all have come up with, but I haven't made a final decision yet. QuiltMav KC suggested "Solar Flare" and I like that. QuiltMav Nina mentioned the song "Heat Wave". I like that too. (And Teri's suggestion of "Hot Fun" reminds me of it.) Dara's suggestion of "Hot Salsa with Guacamole and Blue Corn Chips" totally cracks me up and would actually fit right in with one of my recent quilts being named "Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese". But it's awfully long to write and it also makes me hungry. I'm currently on Day 4 of 20 Days of Virtue (yeah, I know...huh?....but it's a long story, so I'll tell ya about it in a separate post) and I'm alternately obsessing about food and trying not to think of food, so I'm thinking maybe now would be a good time to steer clear of food-related quilt titles. Sigh. Gerrie's suggestion of "Sol de Luminoso" is really pretty, but since I don't speak Spanish, I'd be constantly thinking "now what the heck is that name again??"...probably not such a good thing for the maker of the piece, yes? Logan's suggestion of "Didn't your mom tell you not to stare directly into the sun?" has sparked an idea in my head, but I'm not sure anyone would "get it" except me. Well, or those of you who are about to read about it here, of course. Do y'all remember that song, "Blinded By The Light" by ELO? One line says "Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun. But, Mama, that's where the fun is." That makes me think of the possible quilt titles "Blinded By The Light" or "Eyes of the Sun" or "Where the Fun Is". I kinda like all of those. Decisions, decisions!! Oh well, I'll decide SOMETHING before I have to write it on any show entry blanks. Oh, and Caitlin...I'm kinda an orange gal too. :-)