Saturday, May 28, 2005

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

Well, I saw it yesterday. On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give it a 3....maybe a 3 1/2. It was definitely better than episodes 1 and 2, but still not up to the level of episodes 4 - 6, in my opinion. For one thing, I think it was about a half-hour too long. There were several places where I found myself yawning and checking my watch. That says to me that the editing team should've sent a bit more of it to the cutting room floor. And the love scenes....omigawd. George, George, George....man. You do wonderful adventure stories, Mr. Lucas, but if you continue in your film-making career, please, PLEASE, for the love of all that's holy, get some assistance writing the dialogue for the love scenes! I'm half-convinced that Padme Amidala died not from childbirth complications or heartbreak at Anakin's descent into evil, but from embarrassment at some of the lines she had to say in this and the previous two movies. I've heard a couple of other people say they didn't think Anakin's transformation to Darth Vader was sufficiently explained, but I have to disagree. I felt like his motivations, while clearly WRONG to those of us who know where it leads him, made perfect sense within the context of his life experiences and personality. I think it's very human to make bad decisions with the best of intentions. And we finally get to see why the heck he's walking around in that uncomfortable-looking suit. The special effects were awesome, as always. (My friend kristen's terrifically talented husband, Rob deHaan, had a hand in that!!) Some of the space battle scenes were dizzying. The costumes and sets were excellent. I wish I could see some of Padme's costumes in person, not just from this movie, but from the previous two. They're so sumptuous. Although I question the comfort of sleeping in a nightie with pearl swags on the arms, it certainly looked fetching. :-) So....I'm glad I saw it. And being the movie geek I am, I will probably buy episodes 1 - 3 on DVD when they release them as a set (as they no doubt will), so that I have the whole story and can do a Star Wars Geek-a-thon in the comfort of my own home, if I so desire. But really, Mr. Lucas, I don't want to hear about you writing any more "romantic" dialogue. Seriously.