Tuesday, November 21, 2006

SPC: Glam, Week 3 - the Boudoir Portrait

It's week 3 of November's Glam Self-Portrait Challenge. I have to say I'm enjoying this one. People are being very creative! Plus I love the fantasy element of these photos. The ones I've been doing are like a grown-up version of playing dress-up and pretending to be a princess. :-) As I continue to take my inspiration from classic Hollywood glamor shots, this week I focused on a type of publicity photo that has been around as long as there have been movies and people who wanted to be stars - the boudoir photo. Not that any of those photos were actually taken in anyone's bedroom or dressing room, of course. They were carefully staged studio portraits, but that was the feeling they were meant to evoke - the sense that you'd caught a glimpse of the glamorous movie star in an intimate moment. The studios wanted you to want their stars. They wanted you to fantasize about them and want to be them. I had trouble narrowing my choices in this series down to just one photo, so I'm posting my two favorites. The first one was based on photos like these examples featuring Veronica Lake and Clara Bow: The examples I'm sharing are all B/W, but I decided to do mine in color. Here's my version: "Self-Portrait - Boudoir Portrait" I didn't quite end up with the same angle to the head, but it still has a similar feel I think, especially to the Clara Bow photo. The second pose is based on photos like these pics of Lana Turner and Barbara Stanwyck: And here's my take on it (a bit more Lana than Barbara): "Self-Portrait - Boudoir Portrait: Take 2" (both photos are clickable if you want to see them larger in a new window) Only one more week to go! Wonder what the theme will be next month...