Thursday, October 06, 2005

Serenity Now!

Yesterday I drove all the way to Lexington (around 50 +/- miles away) to see Joss Whedon's "Serenity". I'd hoped to be able to see it closer to home, but our little almost-local theater isn't showing it yet and they didn't seem too sure when, or even IF, they would be. This was a must-see for me, so I made the drive. I liked it. I give it a B+. Maybe even an A-. It wasn't perfect in my opinion. There was a thing or two I'd like to have changed. But those things weren't entirely unexpected and I'm sure I'll get over it. Eventually!!! I think I'll want the DVD when it comes out, both to have a complete story (since I have the "Firefly" TV series DVDs) and to hear and see any commentary or behind-the-scenes stuff. I hope it's loaded with extras! 'nuff said about that, I suppose. One reason I was in a hurry to see it was that I didn't want to accidentally stumble across any major spoilers, so I don't want to be responsible for spoiling anything for anyone else. Hey, here's a question for you other movie fans out there. Anyone seen a movie lately that included the trailer for "Elizabethtown"? And if so, did they say anything about a contest to win an all-expenses-paid trip to E-town (as it's known hereabouts)? I ask because the trailer I saw today said something about such a contest and there was laughter and hooting in the room. And not just from me. Heh. Why, you might ask? Well, let's put it this way - sitting in a cinema in Lexington, KY, and being told you could win an all-expenses-paid trip to Elizabethtown, KY, is a little like sitting in a cinema in New York City and being told you could win a trip to Trenton, NJ. Or like sitting in a cinema in San Francisco and being told you could win a trip to Oxnard. No offense intended to anyone in E-town (or Trenton, or Oxnard!). Seriously. I'm sure it's a nice place to live. I just can't figure out why anyone would want to visit there! After I got home yesterday afternoon, I ran across a quiz I just had to take. Check it out: Which "Serenity" character am I?
You scored as Inara Serra. The Courtesan. You have a job that brings comfort to people and eases their burdens. It took years of training and dedication to perfect. So why do people keep calling you a whore? You tried to get away from those people, but something keeps bringing you back.

Inara Serra

63%

The Operative

63%

Simon Tam

56%

Zoe Alleyne Washburne

56%

Capt. Mal Reynolds

50%

River Tam

50%

Hoban 'Wash' Washburne

50%

Shepherd Derrial Book

31%

Kaylee Frye

25%

Jayne Cobb

25%
Which Serenity character are you? created with QuizFarm.com
All righty then. I do like her outfits. Actually, looking at the percentages, evidently I'm equal parts courtesan and assassin. Good to know. I should probably inform my husband. Somehow it seems like information he should have, yes? Ahem.